Saturday, January 03, 2009

New Year...New Things A Happenin'

Nick starts his Occupational Therapy on the 7th-we have been waiting for this for 11 months!! I still cannot believe it took that long! Yesterday I ordered some chelation drops for children and a hair test to determine if he has heavy metals in his system. We have such a difference in him after the clay baths, that we wanted to see if it will get even better after he gets the drops. He is still very much autistic, but I have read that heavy metals can also affect digestion-and Nick has lots of issues there. I am still waiting a response from his doctor about the comprehensive digestion stool analysis-maybe looking further into his digestive system will lead us to more clues about him. As for Nick, well, he is still just our Nick.. :) People still think he is adorable when he goes up to them and plays "hide and seek" from mommy or daddy in the stores.

Wednesday night we did not do much. I went over to the neighbor's for a while and chatted with them-Mike stayed home with the boys. I came back home and spent the last few minutes of 2008 with them. Nick went to bed at his normal time-no sense in having a super cranky 4yr old the next day with everyone else who was tired.

Thursday I went to Safeway and bought more rice milk for Nick since we had run out. I also found some gluten free/lactose free Pedia Sure. Nick loves the regular stuff, and I had not noticed if it was gluten free/lactose free before, so I bought it. He had some of the regular stuff last week, and he also had some pretty narly diarrhea a couple of times-so maybe that was the cause. If so, then I know the poor kid really cannot handle milk. Lactose intolerant maybe??

Friday we took down all our Christmas stuff! I was ready to see it go. Now things are back to normal, and we can get on with 2009. We went and bought some storage cabinets for all the gaming crap that we have(i.e. controllers, games, and the other crap that seems to accumulate with that stuff). We also bought a dresser for Nick! It's only been almost FIVE YEARS since he graced us with his presence-I guess he is here to stay..LOL! Nick was having fun walking beside the cart. I rarely ever let him do this when I am out alone with him; he likes to run and it makes things very difficult. It is almost to the point where he will need one of those leash thingies-he is just getting too tall for the baskets. It is hard to get him in and out of them because his legs are so long. But, when we are all out together, we usually let him walk. After we got all the stuff, we headed to Quizno's for dinner. They are familiar with us there and know Nick. He was enjoying every minute of this and was "silly-talking" the whole time. There really is no other way to describe it-it is Nick's own made up jargon that he does when he is happy. He had two pieces of the Quizno's tape and was in heaven. It felt like we were a normal family. We were eating in peace, and Michael was astonishing us by eating all the hot peppers he could tolerate! We all had a great time!

2 comments:

Ash said...

Those "normal" moments - they hit me by surprise as well. Do you think parents with typical kids get it? ;-)

So glad to hear that the clay baths are helping. Such great news. Interested to hear about the test results.

Go Mama! and OT!

Amy said...

No Em, I don't think they get it at all! All the things most people take for granted are such a huge deal for us. Not sure I would have it any other way though-I don't want to ever get tired of Nick talking!! Afterall, we are doing everything we can to get him to talk "just a little more". I don't care for normal any longer, I just want him to be able to speak. He is getting it, and little by little we are moving ahead. Our Little Man!