Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More Random Thoughts...

I have been thinking about changing the name of the blog. I just feel like it has grown away from being just a "day in our life". I have reached a point of total acceptance of autism. I don't like some parts of it, but I accept it none-the-less. For the first year and a half or so I devoted any amount of spare time I could to researching treatments and supplements on the internet. This became my passion-it more or less took over my life. Now, we are at a place with Nick that we are comfortable with. For right now. You see, with autism, things seem to change on you just when you think you have everything figured out. Phases come and go just like with any other kid. Now, we are getting into the "I'm being naughty and I know it" phase. Nick loves to twirl things in his hands, and then crash them to the floor. He crashes everything to the floor nowadays..which can make for deafening noise in the kitchen. He especially likes how things go crash in there. But, with each passing phase, I find myself missing some of the things he used to do. I simply loved his Happy Dance. He stopped doing it quite some time ago, and I catch myself watching videos of this "long lost" stim with a huge smile on my face. I LOVE the stim he does now though. It is so endearing and unique to Nicholas. He comes right up to my face and puts his hands on my cheeks. There is nothing better than this "hug" from Nick.

Monday was a good day. I went to PT in the morning, and the boys decided to sleep in until around 9am. I went in when I heard the first stirrings of activity, and was greeted at the door with an exuberent Nicholas. He had been busy arranging the room as he saw fit, which included taking all his diapers out and lining them up on the floor in the middle of the room. He also had moved the air hockey table and his small dresser. He greeted me with "Close the window pwease". Yes, Nicholas, the window will stay closed because it is going to rain today. "It's gonna RAINNNN!" Yes, my lovely boy, it sure is. Sometimes, a little rain is just what we need.

No comments: